Friday, September 19, 2014

What not to buy - NYX Retractable Eye Liner in Deep Purple

I'm shocked - at my self, cos I'm dissing a favorite brand of mine; NYX needs no introduction, its famous for its affordable awesome range of great quality products. I love so many of them - but then, occasionally you get Lemon-ed!



I got this NYX eye liner mainly cos of the color. I was after a good purple eyeliner and when I saw this on sale at my local Rexall, I didn't hesitate much. 



NYX is one of the few drugstore brands here, that has got the concept of "fun and attractive" packaging - like this pencil that is cased in a plastic sturdy purple packaging. 

As its retractable, you don't have the hassle of sharpening this pencil. The cost of this eyeliner here in Canada is around $5 CAD.

When I got this pencil, I was under the impression that this would be a close match for Revlon's Colorburst Matte balm in Shameless. But its not. Shameless is more fuschia-ish purple while NYX Deep Purple leans more towards deeper blue. 

BUT........................

Here is where my problem starts - you can see that it does not apply very well on lids. Its a drier formula, even on my slightly oily lids, it didnt go smoothly. 



The application, as you can see, gave a very patchy result. It doesnt look very good on its own. 

My next option was to see how this worked if I tried to smoke it out as an eyeshadow. 



Surprisingly that looks like the best use for this pencil - to create an easy purple smoky effect.
Caution - don't use this on its own, use it with a black or cream-color eyeshadow to create a good effect.

Lastly, I tried this as a lip color - as you can see, it sucked big time!




Overall: It fails in the main use of it - as an eyeliner. Only use I can think of is as a base for a black liner or eyeshadow. 
Even so, there are so many other better products out there, so why try so hard!!!

NYX's Slide On eye pencil range has some rave reviews, so thats my next target. 
But this one - goes to the far away Land of Makeup Up Bought But Never Used Cos It Sucked & I Couldn't Return The Bugger !!!

3 comments:

  1. I like this, I love honest product reviews and opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very informative post thanks for sharing the information.
    bulk Cream boxes
    Cosmetic packaging boxes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed reading the article above , really explains everything in detail, the article is very interesting and effective. Thank you and good luck in the upcoming articles and visit our website for packaging Why does everyone order luxury lip balm boxes

    ReplyDelete

Please post your comments!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...